For higher educational institutions and the foundations that support them, more than 12 states require registration. That number can be higher if your organization engages a professional fundraiser or if your contributions exceed state-specific caps.
As many as 34 states offer exemptions for higher education institutions based on who is doing the fundraising:
• Is the educational institution raising funds?
• Is a separate foundation raising funds?
• Do both raise funds?
• Is a professional fundraiser involved?
• Does the Admissions/Student Recruiting team distribute solicitations for funds at college fairs, high school campus visits, etc.?
• Are you engaged in a capital campaign—now or in the near future?
• Does the organization raise in excess of $25K annually?
Each nonprofit entity (as evidenced by a unique tax identification number) that is engaged in fundraising will have a registration requirement that can differ by state.
Contact us for more information about Higher Education-specific registration.