Museums and Historical Sites
Museums that curate and display art, historical or scientific exhibits should take a close look at how and where they raise funds. Even the sale of small items like annual holiday ornaments can trigger registration if the proceeds are donated to the organization. These organizations may also request art, ancient objects and other items as donations, which can affect the need to register. Some important questions to consider:
• Is your organization soliciting donations via social media or the web?
• Do you ask for donations of art, historical items and other items to exhibit?
• Do you charge admission or sell items with a portion of proceeds donated to a foundation?
• Are proceeds from your gift shop donated to the organization?
• Are you engaged in a capital campaign—now or in the near future?
• Does the organization raise in excess of $25K annually?
• Is a professional fundraiser involved?
• Is a separate foundation raising funds?
Contact us for more information about charitable registration for Museums and Historical Sites.